In Your Role As An Organizer, Be Sure To MEET THE NEW HIRE ON THE FIRST DAY
What do you think the new hire wants and needs to know the first day on the job?
Do you remember your "FIRST DAY" on the job?
Put yourself in the new hire's shoes! That plant or office, department, job, and everything about it is going to be NEW---STRANGE----and just a little bit UNREAL. Remember? The new hire is going to want to know, and will be thinking about, many things. If you were the new hire, would you be thinking.
1. Should I really be here?
2. What's expected of me on the job?
3. How much "break-in" will I have before I'm on my own?
4. Can I do the job?
5. How will the other workers accept me?
6. Where did they say the rest rooms and vending areas are?
7. What should I remember about what the Boss told me? The Union rep?
8 .By the way, I wonder what a union rep really looks like? After all, I don't know much about leaders.
That first day is so rough that most people remember it for the rest of their lives! The first day is when the new hire needs a friendly "welcome" . Remember?